Tuesday, January 19, 2010

2K10

As the Golf Channel loves to spam on every commercial break, Golf 2K10 is under way. I really never thought that I would be one sitting on the couch looking for something to watch only to leave on the golf channel for three hours.

My family always watched golf in the final round when we'd have birthday parties or whatever other family occasion brought us together. And inevitably, I would find myself in the other room with my cousins or sisters avoiding sitting around the tube with the old folks watching some guys in goofy pants playing what could possibly be the most boring television ever.

Even playing as a teenager in my yearly outing (yes, usually it was a singular outing) I hated watching golf on TV. Maybe that's why I had no idea what I was doing. Every shot was aimed at the flag, every drive was at least one fairway over. I am pretty disappointed in my golfing youth because I never accomplished anything remotely helpful. I knew that I could swing a hockey stick, therefore, I could probably swing a golf club too. Boy was I wrong.

When I began playing last spring seriously for the first time in my life, I knew that I was hooked. I told my dad about how terribly I played my first round out and to my 124 he replied, "I can't say I ever remember you scoring any better." Ouch.

But here I am, midwinter in Michigan, watching golf in the middle of the day. Almost daily. Even some of the infomercials suck me in. So for anyone lucky enough to be playing on a regular basis in January, piss off!

No comments:

Post a Comment