Friday, January 15, 2010

Golf the Mental Game

I finally finished Golf the Mental Game today, by Tom Dorsel, PhD. It was the first book I've read about golf psychology and it was an interesting read. I must say that this kind of book is something that I think will help me, but I might need to go back and reread certain chapters after I start playing again in the spring to get a better idea what he's talking about.

It's fairly well-written, but also a little repititive. He uses certain expressions or examples repeatedly and it wore on me a bit. I understood the point the first time, use another example to drive the point home. But it is fairly evident that he's passionate about golf and helping people improve. I would recommend reading it, but in chunks. I read it mixed with Hank Haney's Essentials of the Swing (which I'm still working through) and that helped me move through it.

I think there's a lot to be said about the psychological game of golf that doesn't get mentioned in books like Haney's book or Golf Digest's shot shaping book. There are 50 mini lessons in this book that cover a great deal of subjects and issues, ranging from Emotions and Concentration to Practice and Game Improvement. Another bonus is that it's also affordable (less than $20 at Borders, cheaper online).


Other notes:
I'm looking for some concrete measures of game improvement to monitor when I start playing. Obviously I know that I can improve my fairways hit, my greens in regulation, but is there another statistic that anyone has found really helped bring their game together?

No comments:

Post a Comment